Pages

23 October, 2016

From the New World, in the New World

When I was about 11 or 12 years old, the Nuremberg Symphony came to my Bavarian hometown to perform Antonin Dvořák's From the New World. As a special treat we had the conductor over for dinner before the concert. My father knew him because they had studied together at the U of Munich and the Munich Conservatory. The dinner cum concert impressed me so much that I bought a Deutsche Grammophon recording the following week with my pocket money usually reserved for a new volume of Karl May. At the time, the world and the landscapes it evoked (together with those in Karl May's novels) became part of my affective world, but I never dreamed I would end up living anywhere near them. Yesterday evening, the ATL Symphony brought all of this back with an inspiring performance of my favorite symphony.